Great Expectations

Meet Miss Ainsleigh Brynn, The Newest Member Of Our Family

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Missing Pictures

I'm working on the pictures, I really am.  Before I post pictures, though, I need to process them in several ways.  First, I need to look at all the pictures and choose the ones worth keeping.   I then sort the pictures into folders with descriptive names.  Within each folder, I look at each picture and give it a descriptive name in place of its camera-assigned serial number.  Today, I remember the context for each picture; for instance, I can differentiate the pictures taken at St. Mark's and at Primary Children's.  In ten years, I may not be able to  do this.  Thus, if I'm going to relay all the information in these photos to my adult daughter thirty years in the future, I've got to make the relevant annotations now.  Anyhow, once the photos are sorted and named I have to make a "network size" copy of each one that I can upload to Flickr without killing my disk allotment or your bandwidth.  Then lastly I've got to upload and caption them all, and post a ping here at GE/BQ letting y'all know that they're up.

Unfortunately we've been, ahem, a little busy lately.  What's more, my computer isn't really cooperating.  When I open a folder of pictures, Windows Explorer wants to render a thumbnail of every file inside it.  Because I've got a whole lot of pictures in each folder, this is a little more than my computer can handle.  Consequently, WE crashes every few minutes as I try to sort and rename the pictures.  To circumvent this problem I've developed a hybrid approach by which I look at the pictures with Firefox (which sensibly just displays the filenames as html links) and rename and sort them from the command line.  This is cumbersome and extremely annoying, not least because I know virtually nothing about the allegedly obsolete DOS command line language, and thus have to have a third window open to a DOS cheat sheet.  Anyway, be assured that I am working (slowly) on this and I do hope to have a bunch of pictures up soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home